Your life as a new student will go swimmingly if you take care of a few basic things. Make sure that at least the issues listed here are in order!
Before studies begin…
- Enrol as an attending student and pay the AYY membership fee.
- Order a student card!
- Get a roof over your head. Remember to make the change of address notification!
- If you are entitled to it, apply for student financial aid from the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela). Remember to keep an eye on Kela’s earnings limit if you have other income!
- Find the best travel route between home and school.
In the beginning of autumn term…
- Get the public transportation travel card from a HSL (Helsinki Region Transport) service point and update it with student status.
- Ask your tutor about anything troubling you.
- Be active in your tutoring group, AYY and the different societies and get to know new people – studying is a lot more fun in good company!