If you want to receive the AYY association newsletter by email, please subscribe at http://list.ayy.fi/mailman/listinfo/yhdistykset
This is the AYY association newsletter for week 8/2019
This week, we are showcasing the theme of ecological sustainability. AYY is hoping for tips on how to support associations with regard to the topic (item 2), and Inkubio is challenging everyone to join Ilmastoveivi (item 3). Also, check out the topical preparations for applying for an operating grant (item 1).
Upcoming events and important dates for associations
26 Feb: Art, coffee and activity (item 9)
26 Feb: Brainstorming workshop: 30 000 euros towards Teekkaris (item 7, and more information https://www.facebook.com/events/2328775227133195/)
28 Feb: Collection of questions on ecological sustainability ends (item 2)
28 Feb: AYY Representative Council meeting 2/2019 (http://ayy.fi/live)
1 Mar: Application for operating grants opens (item 1, scoring model: https://inside.ayy.fi/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=12615842)
1 Mar: Association notice submission opens
5 Mar: Laskiaisrieha and Gravitaatio (https://www.facebook.com/events/2296143920450164/)
Contents of the newsletter
- Preparations for applying for an operating grant
- Ecological sustainability entering the Association Guide and operating grants!
- Inkubio wants to challenge your association to join Ilmastoveivi 2019!
- AYY crowns Manta this spring – have your say!
- AYY’s franking machine to be taken out of use
- Teekkari culture in a nutshell
- Brainstorming workshop: 30 000 euros towards Teekkaris
- Sports tutor recruitment for 2019
- AYY: Art, coffee and activity on Tue 26 Feb at 5 pm
- Train as a Security Officer, AYY pays for the costs!
- Tips for performance auditors and those preparing their financial statement
- Mindful Tools for Stress Management
1. Preparations for applying for an operating grant
In March, AYY will be handing out operating grants to 1st list associations. The scoring model has been lightly updated and the application form revised to ease the process for associations.
It is advisable to take care of some things ahead of the start of the application period:
- Make sure the documents from the previous operational year (financial statement, annual report) and this year’s documents (operational plan, budget) are in order. These, along with the current rules, are required as appendices to the application form.
- If possible, organise the association’s spring meeting before the end of March in order to have the documents mentioned at item 1 approved. If your rules stipulate different proceedings, comply primarily with the rules.
- Update your member register. Find out how many of your members are members of AYY, for example, with a member survey.
Everything mentioned above is only for guidance but, in practice, they are small steps that you are advised to take into account. The above items (apart from the financial documents) also apply to associations who are only submitting an association notice. In addition, the following more recent items will be taken into account in the scoring:
- The association has privacy statements in accordance with GDPR. If your association wants to prepare these, AYY’s instruction package can be found here: https://inside.ayy.fi/display/TIET/General+Data+Protection (login requires Aalto user details).
- The relevant association operators are familiar with AYY’s Event Organiser Guide (https://yhdistysopas.ayy.fi/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2018/12/Tapahtumaj%C3%A4rjest%C3%A4j%C3%A4n-opas.pdf; in Finnish only).
- Equality practices have been discussed in the association, and written instructions may have been prepared regarding these. If you need some tips, you should take a look at the Association Guide’s section on the topic at https://yhdistysopas.ayy.fi/equality/?lang=en.
- The association pays attention to ecological sustainability (e.g. recycling, sensible purchases). Read more at item 2, and also check out the Ilmastoveivi challenge at item 3.
Items 4–7 are changes brought on by the lightly updated scoring system, and their promotion is optional for associations. Operating grants are allocated based on the scoring guideline, which is available at https://inside.ayy.fi/download/attachments/12615842/Pisteytysmalli%20toiminta-avustusten%20jakoon%202018_EN.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1549006812000&api=v2.
If you have any questions about the application round at this point, do not hesitate to get in touch at jarjestoasiat(a)ayy.fi. Naturally, more detailed instructions and dates will be provided in the association newsletter before the application period starts.
2. Ecological sustainability entering the Association Guide and operating grants!
From now on, you can gain scores in the renewed operating grant round also for promoting ecological sustainability when it comes to recycling, purchases and food and drink service, for example. What kind of information do you need for changing your practices? How can AYY support and help associations in terms of sustainable development? We will put together the best questions along with their answers in the Association Guide for all to see! Send your questions to email@example.com by 28 Feb.
3. Inkubio wants to challenge your association to join Ilmastoveivi 2019!
Climate change is something that affects the daily lives of us all. All climate deeds are steps towards a better tomorrow, but the greatest effects are achieved together. We feel that our student community has plenty of potential to influence climate matters, which is why we want to encourage everyone to take part!
Ilmastoveivi 2019 is a campaign aiming to encourage the leaders of Finland to make the most of Finland’s presidency term in the Council of the European Union from July to December. As the nation holding the presidency, Finland can have a strong impact on the climate policy of the EU. More information on the campaign at https://www.ilmastoveivi2019.fi/en.html.
So, we suggest that you share the campaign with your association’s membership and challenge other parties as well, should you wish to do so. This way, we can have as big an impact as possible. We also challenge you to come up with and execute one tangible climate deed.
We intend to put some effort on recycling this year, for example, by sorting the waste from our Guild room and events in an orthodox manner. We have started by getting a bin for compostable waste for the Guild room! Think about what would be the right eco deed for your community. The successes can be shared using the hashtags #univeivi and #ilmastoveivi2019.
4. AYY crowns Manta this spring – have your say!
This year, it is once again AYY’s honour to crown the Havis Amanda, and we want all Aalto people to help us come up with the best and most wonderful ideas!
Do you have an idea for how Manta’s student cap could be brought to the site? How can we celebrate the best student’s life in the world during the procession? How can this unique event be celebrated the Aalto way?
Send us your ideas now! In 2015, when AYY crowned Manta last, the community suggested using a drone to fly in the student cap, and this was brought to fruition!
5. AYY’s franking machine to be taken out of use
The franking machine used for post, located at AYY’s Central Office and occasionally used by associations as well, will be taken out of use at the end of June (30 June 2019). Associations’ letters will be sent the normal way in the future. Stamps can be bought in A Bloc stores, and the nearest post office is located in Tapiola (Länsituulentie 4, https://www.posti.fi/henkiloasiakkaat/asiakaspalvelu/palvelupisteet.html?id=021003200 [in Finnish]).
6. Teekkari culture in a nutshell
Who are these lively creatures with their traditions? The Polytechnical Students’ Museum was temporarily closed for renovations in December. The exhibition and stories were packed into a documentary about the tech student culture, by the combined efforts of OUBS and our very own Museum Section and guides. Viewings every Sunday at noon, in Kinopoli, Otakaari 20 A. Subtitles in English, seats for 18 people, no reservations. For any questions and more info, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Brainstorming workshop: 30 000 euros towards Teekkaris
Come brainstorm about what the scholarship donated towards promoting the Teekkari culture by the Academic Engineers and Architects in Finland (TEK) could be used on. The event begins with a concise presentation of the student survey’s results and the current status of the Teekkari culture and guild operations. All Teekkari students, acting volunteers in the guilds or at AYY as well as everyone interested in Teekkaris is welcome to join us for coming up with what to spend the money on. The best ideas will reach a lot of people and live on for years to come.
The brainstorming workshop takes place on Tue 26 Feb at 3–5 pm in the Undergraduate Centre, room Y115. The presentations are held in Finnish, but everyone is welcome to brainstorm in their own language. The facility is accessible, and more information is available from email@example.com.
Spread the word about the event to the members of your association: https://www.facebook.com/events/2328775227133195/
More information on the TEK donation: https://lehti.tek.fi/index.php/opiskelijat/tek-lahjoitti-teekkarikulttuurille-100-000-euroa (in Finnish).
8. Sports tutor recruitment for 2019
The task of a sports tutor is to encourage new students to take up exercise. Sports tutors do not need to be ISOs, tutors or top athletes – anyone can apply, regardless of the stage of their studies! The important thing is having an interest in sports and exercise and a desire to work with new students.
Next autumn, a new sports concept will be launched in which different sports associations organise weekly sessions in which people can try out the different disciplines, and the idea is for the sports tutors to act as support for this concept. They would aim to help the sports associations organise their try-outs and to bring new students into the sessions.
- You get to organise versatile sporting activities for new students
- A free 4-month UniSport membership
- Another 4-month UniSport membership if you stay active throughout the autumn
- A Sports Tutor badge for your overalls
- An interdisciplinary tutoring group
Application and further information: https://lomake.ayy.fi/aava/liikuntatutorhakemus-2019/
9. AYY: Art, coffee and activity on Tue 26 Feb at 5 pm
What if an art piece portraying the Arabia chimney was created in Otaniemi? Could the metro station be utilised to display student artworks? Should the AYY t-shirts be completely redesigned? What could Otaniemi Night of Arts look like this year?
What kinds of activities do you think the Student Union should organise in the art field? Come around for a cup of coffee, to bounce around ideas and to discuss the subject. The best ideas may end up as realised projects, and participation is fully up to what you are interested in and have time for. All Aalto students are welcome at the event, which is held on Tuesday 26 Feb from 5 pm onwards in Väre, in the Working Café opposite the Aalto University Shop between the building’s M and L blocks. Welcome!
10. Train as a Security Officer, AYY pays for the costs!
AYY is organising a Security Officer course in the beginning of March. The training is held on 1–3 Mar and 8–10 Mar 2019. The training is free of charge if you commit to working as a Security Officer in four (4) AYY events by the end of 2020. If there are spots left, you can also take part on the Security Officer refresher course on 9–10 Mar.
The course will be held in Finnish. The course has 15 spots and is organised in Otaniemi.
Registration opens on 12 Feb at 12 noon and closes on 19 Feb at 11.59 pm or when the course is full.
More info and registration: https://lomake.ayy.fi/vapaaehtoiset/kouluttaudu-jarjestyksenvalvojaksi/ (in Finnish).
11. Tips for performance auditors and those preparing their financial statement
For many associations, the operating year came to an end as the year changed, and now is high time to start preparing your financial statement. After this, the performance auditors can get going. Check the topical tips for both the financial statement and the performance audit in AYY’s Association Guide: https://yhdistysopas.ayy.fi/financial-statement-and-performance-audit/?lang=en.
In addition, there are some good materials available on the Opintokeskus website: https://www.tjs-opintokeskus.fi/julkaisut-ja-aineistot/verkkoaineistot/toiminnantarkastus/toiminnantarkastuskertomus (in Finnish).
In terms of applying for an operating grant, it would come in handy to have your financial statement and performance audit completed in time for approval in the association’s spring meeting before the end of March. Various documents approved in these meetings (e.g. financial statement, annual report, operational plan, budget) are required as appendices to the operating grant application; otherwise, an extension must be requested for their submission. More details at item 1.
12. Mindful Tools for Stress Management
Feeling stressed or anxious? Come and get new ideas on how to boost your wellness. When facing difficulties, we often try not to notice them. Handling stress becomes easier when we approach difficulties rather avoid them and learn to recognise when we start to feel stressed or worried. With practice, it is possible to become less reactive and more free with our responses to the stressful situation.
The workshop is on Mondays at 2–4 pm from 25 Feb to 25 March, class room Majakka (M140), Otakaari 1. The workshop is held in English. More information at https://into.aalto.fi/display/enopisk/Courses+and+workshops+for+students.
The workshop in Finnish will be held on Mondays at 10 am–12 noon from 25 Feb to 1 Apr. More information at https://into.aalto.fi/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=328008.
WANT YOUR NEWS IN THIS NEWSLETTER?
Send us your short text by 10 am on Wednesday to tiedotteet (a) ayy.fi. The news will be translated, so you only have to use one language.
The information in the newsletter is edited by the AYY Association and Communications Specialist, Essi Puustinen (essi.puustinen (a) ayy.fi, tel. 050 520 9442).
Want to unsubscribe from the association newsletter mailing list? Click on the link and follow the instructions at the bottom of the page: https://list.ayy.fi/mailman/listinfo/ayy-info-fi