This is the autumn season’s second-to-last weekly newsletter for 2018. The last newsletter is published on Monday next week, and the first one for 2019 will be put together for Monday 14 Jan. Good luck, everyone, with completing the rest of the year’s projects.
- 12 Dec: The Guild of the Cross: Game Night https://ayy.fi/blog/events/ristin-kilta-peli-ilta-13/ (in Finnish)
- 14 Dec: Village Christmas Party https://ayy.fi/en/blog/events/village-christmas-party/
- 15 Dec: PK’s Christmas in the Lauttasaari Church https://ayy.fi/blog/events/pkn-joulu-lauttasaaren-kirkossa/ (in Finnish)
- 16 Dec: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament – Murskaveljekset VI https://ayy.fi/blog/events/murskaveljekset-vi/
- 16 Dec: Wonder – Female choir KYN’s Christmas concert in the Temppeliaukio Church https://ayy.fi/en/blog/events/wonder-female-choir-kyns-christmas-concert/
- 17 Dec: Futuretalks: Facing/Fading Frontiers https://ayy.fi/en/blog/events/futuretalks-facing-fading-frontiers/
- 17 Dec: KYL’s traditional Christmas concert in the Meilahti Church https://ayy.fi/blog/events/kyln-perinteinen-joulukonsertti-meilahden-kirkossa/
- 19 Dec: Wonder – Female choir KYN’s Christmas concerts https://ayy.fi/en/blog/events/wonder-female-choir-kyns-christmas-concert-2/
- 19 Dec: The Guild of the Cross: Aftermidsummer https://ayy.fi/blog/events/ristin-kilta-afterjuhannus-2/ (in Finnish)
- 19 Dec: Sound Christmas Night – the Polytech Orchestra’s Christmas concert https://ayy.fi/blog/events/soi-jouluyo-polyteknikkojen-orkesterin-joulukonsertti-3/
- 20 Dec: PK’s Christmas in St. John’s Church https://ayy.fi/blog/events/pkn-joulu-johanneksenkirkossa/ (in Finnish)
- 20 Dec: KYL’s traditional Christmas concert in the Temppeliaukio Church https://ayy.fi/blog/events/kyln-perinteinen-joulukonsertti-temppeliaukion-kirkossa-3/
- Exceptions to end-of-year opening hours of AYY’s Services Office
- Futuretalks: Facing/Fading Frontiers on 17 Dec 2018
- Supplementary application to Student representative in Aalto University administration
- Polyteekkari Museum renovations starting – volunteer forces needed!
- Wonder – KYN’s Christmas concerts
- PK’s Christmas – atmospheric male choir music in the Lauttasaari Church and St. John’s Church
- Theatre offer for January 2019
- Plätty’s Biomedical Bistro: Data Science in Health Tech on 13 Dec
- Favourite Christmas carols on 14 Dec 2018 at 8 am in Alvari
- AIESEC Talks on Climate Action
- Aalto Tennis Christmas Party & Board Elections
Over Christmas, the Services Office is closed from Sat 22 Dec 2018 until Tue 1 Jan 2019. From Wednesday 2 Jan 2019 onwards, the Office returns to its normal opening hours.
You can check the opening hours and exceptions to them at https://ayy.fi/en/contact-information/#Otaniemi
Free movement has removed obstacles from the free exchange of knowledge and research in Europe and promoted versatile study and employment opportunities. Why is it still worth going on exchange, and what else does free movement enable? In which direction is free movement heading – are there new digital and tangible barriers rising in Europe?
Welcome to the Futuretalks discussion event on Monday 17 Dec at 4–6 pm in Kipsari, Väre to discuss the burning themes of Europe together with e.g. journalist Riku Rantala, Member of the European Parliament Miapetra Kumpula-Natri and Sitra’s Senior Lead Laura Halenius!
The event is part of the Futuretalks series delving into topical phenomena in Europe from the point of view of influencing. The event series deepens perspectives and the contexts of decision-making on burning themes via opening discussions.
Further information on the event: https://ayy.fi/en/blog/events/futuretalks-facing-fading-frontiers/
Aalto University Student Union decided on 26 Oct 2018 to open a call for applications to Student representatives in the Aalto University administration for the calendar year 2019. Four calls have been continued until 11 Dec 2018 at 11.59 pm due to a low number of applicants:
- LUMA Centre Steering Group (i.e. Aalto Junior steering group), 1 ordinary member
- IDBM programme committee (ARTS, BIZ, CHEM, ELEC, ENG, SCI), 3 ordinary and 3 deputy members
- Entrepreneurship Programme Committee, 1 ordinary and 1 deputy member
- Master’s Programme in Urban Studies and Planning Education Council, 3 ordinary and 3 deputy members
All students of Aalto University are eligible to apply. The descriptions of the different organs of trust contain more detailed information about possible requirements and restrictions. More information and instructions for applying:
The Polyteekkari Museum renovations are about to start, and helping hands are needed. Assisting in the different stages of the move and renovations will not only earn you glory, fame and a happy feeling but also an attachment to the project rope given out for the first time.
The first chance to help out is on Saturday 15 Dec when the Museum is moving away ahead of the renovations. Help is welcome at around 11 am–5 pm, and you can show up when it suits you either for a little while or for the whole day. There will be food and drinks provided for the helpers. Sign up as a helping hand at http://bit.ly/museonmuutto18. Let us know what time you think you can join us and your possible dietary requirements.
P.S. The next time help is needed is probably in August 2019 when the new Polyteekkari Museum is being renovated. The move back will take place in autumn 2019.
More information on Telegram from Moving Chief Chriso (@Chriau) or Lensku (@Lensku).
From starshine grows a ray of hope, from the deepest whiteness the greatest love. Into darkness a light kindles, into gloom an all-illuminating wonder.
In its Christmas concerts, KYN will transport you from a winter’s evening into Christmas night with the freshly arranged most loved Christmas songs, English carols and a number of modern Christmas classics. The atmosphere is complemented by lighting design by Mika Venhovaara. The choir is conducted by Music Councillor Kaija Viitasalo.
We wish you heartily welcome to join us on the passage into Christmas.
Sun 16 Dec 2018 at 7 pm (doors at 6.30 pm) Temppeliaukion kirkko, Lutherinkatu 3, Helsinki
Wed 19 Dec 2018 at 6 pm (doors at 5.30 pm) Chapel of the Holy Heart, Kirstinkatu 1, Helsinki
Wed 19 Dec 2018 at 8 pm (doors at 7.30 pm) Chapel of the Holy Heart, Kirstinkatu 1, Helsinki
Programmes from choir members and the doors 20/15
Concert duration about 1 h
You can also find the events on Facebook!
Once again, the Christmas concerts of the Polytech Choir (PK) will tune you into the festive spirit. The concerts, organised in the Lauttasaari and St. John’s Churches on 15 and 20 Dec, continue PK’s traditional Christmas song concerts by combining new and older male choir music, inviting you to enjoy the familiar warm atmosphere and the pleasant Christmas spirit.
- On Saturday 15 Dec 2018 at 7 pm Lauttasaari Church
- On Thursday 20 Dec 2018 at 6 pm and 8 pm St. John’s Church
Tickets from the choir’s own webstore at http://www.polyteknikkojenkuoro.fi/en/konsertit/.
Tickets: 20€ / 10€ (students, unemployed, conscripts, children under 16 years), 0–6-year-olds free of charge when accompanied by a guardian.
The new year 2019 is comfortably kicked off in the theatre. On Wednesday 9 Jan 2019 at 7 pm, Willensauna offers a fun and warm performance of Gabriel, based on Mika Waltari’s writing.
For university students, tickets only 12 euros behind this link: https://www.lippu.fi/lippuja.html?affiliate=FIV&erid=2351787&doc=erdetaila&fun=erdetail&language=en
Welcome to Plätty’s (Polytech Organisation of Biomedical Engineering) career event, the Biomedical Bistro, on Thursday 13 Dec at 4.45 pm! In the Bistro, different Health Tech companies will describe how they use data science in their daily work, and what kind of plans they have for data in the future. We encourage students from any programming background to attend the evening (and enjoy the free food). The Bistro is held in English.
The event starts with a coffee service at 4.45 pm, and there is food on offer between presentations. To optimise the service, we ask you to sign up at www.tinyurl.com/bistro-ilmo. Welcome!
WHAT? Plätty’s Biomedical Bistro
WHEN? On Thursday 13 Dec at 4.45 pm
WHERE? Rakentajanaukio 2C, Otaniemi, 3rd floor conference room (NBE)
MORE INFORMATION: https://platty.ayy.fi/?p=417
P.S. Plätty’s election meeting will be held on Tue 18 Dec. If you are interested in health technology and easy contacts to such companies, you should consider joining the Plätty Board! 😉
The Favourite Christmas carols singalong is organised on Friday 14 Dec 2018 at 8 am in the student restaurant Alvari, Otakaari 1. This year, also early-bird students are invited to the traditional Christmas carol event of the staff of Aalto University and VTT. Come along and sing yourself into the Christmas spirit! The event is Finnish-language and organised by Aalto University HR, VTT and the Aalto chaplains.
Series 2 of AIESEC Talks: This time, AIESEC Helsinki invites Dr. Laura Riuttanen from the Institute for Atmospheric and Earth System Research (INAR), and Dr. Risto Makkonen from the Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) to talk about their work in Climate Action.
Dr. Laura Riuttanen will be speaking about the relationship between water and the climate.
Dr. Risto Makkonen will be speaking about his research in anthropogenic aerosols and their impact on the climate.
When: Friday 14 December at 6–8 pm
**This event is free, but please register as seats are limited.**
Register here: http://bit.ly/rsvp-aiesec-talks-ii
For any questions or comments, contact email@example.com
Welcome to the casual Aalto Tennis Christmas Party & Autumn Meeting / Board Elections on Saturday 15 December! We will be at Tapiolan Tennispuisto. We will start with the autumn meeting at 6 pm, and the Christmas Party begins at 7 pm. Meanwhile, we will enjoy Christmas treats, music and good company. The Board elections will take place later in the evening, so you have time to ask about the positions during the night.
Mainly, this is a nice and warm Christmas party for our members and others interested in Aalto Tennis – you will certainly have a good time even if you wouldn’t apply for the board!
More information on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/337675443680555/
Once again, Aalto students have the opportunity to apply for the Stanford Summer Session International Honors Program (IHP), organised in California on 22 June–18 Aug 2019. The application period is 15 Dec 2018–15 Jan 2019 (at 6 pm).
Aalto University, in conjunction with SSIHP, will provide a maximum of six Aalto students with full scholarships. The goal is to choose one scholarship student from each school, provided that suitable candidates are found. The scholarship, approx. 15 000 USD, covers the tuition fee, insurance, board and meals on campus. An additional 1000 euros is separately granted for travel.
Further information on Into. https://into.aalto.fi/display/enuutiset/Stanford+University+International+Summer+School+2019
This is Aalto University Student Union’s weekly newsletter for week 50/2018. The newsletter gives you the news on AYY and its associations and sections, as well as other useful information.
If you want your own piece to appear in the newsletter, send your finalised text to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 am on Thursday for publication the following week. The recommended length of the text is 500 characters and the maximum length 1 000 characters.
You can also read the newsletter on AYY’s website at https://ayy.fi/en/students/weekly-newsletter/
News concerning associations can be found in the association newsletter. Read them at https://ayy.fi/en/associations/association-newsletter/
Want to unsubscribe from the weekly newsletter mailing list? Click on the link and follow the instructions at the bottom of the page: https://list.ayy.fi/mailman/listinfo/ayy-info-fi